Taylor A. Lewis, M.D. and Cleveland Hurst III shared a special bond of friendship. Hurst graduated from Wayne State in 1971 and Dr. Lewis graduated in 1978. Both served on the Wayne State Alumni Association Board of Directors and Executive Committee. Dr. Lewis also served as Alumni Association President and he never forgot his obligation to lend a hand. Dr. Taylor A. Lewis and Mrs. Nellie Lewis established the Taylor A. Lewis, M.D. and Cleveland Hurst III Endowed Scholarship to recognize scholastic achievement, encourage continued progress and provide assistance to students in financing their education at Wayne State University.
The $1,000 scholarship provides financial assistance to those who wish to attend Wayne State after a postponement, either following graduation from high school or during their college education. Awards may be used for Wayne State tuition and educational expenses.
- Currently enrolled or newly accepted full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate Wayne State student.
- Experienced a postponement of college education after high school, or returning to college after an extended absence.
- Demonstrated financial need through completion of 2019/20 FAFSA.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2019/2020 academic year. For more information, see wayne.edu/financial-aid/applying/fafsa.
- Complete and submit the application below, along with the required documents described below, no later than 5 pm on January 31, 2019.
- The application requires an essay response. Ensure you complete the essay response.
- A letter of recommendation is required. The letter must be dated after June 30, 2018. The letter should explain the relationship between the writer and you. It is suggested you explain this scholarship’s qualifying criteria to the individual providing the recommendation letter.
- You must complete all parts of the application. Incomplete submissions and submissions received after 5 pm on January 31, 2019, will not be considered. Any materials submitted other than those required above will not be considered.
Recipients are selected by the WSU Alumni Association Awards & Scholarship Committee. The committee ranks each applicant on the basis of its review of the content of each application, whether the qualifying criteria are met, and the quality of the letter of recommendation. Applicants ranked highest are awarded a scholarship of $1,000, which can be used for tuition and other educational expenses. The amount of available funds limits the number of scholarships awarded. All decisions are final. Awards will be distributed by the WSU Office of Student Financial Aid according to university policies and procedures.
No preference is given to previous awardees of this scholarship. If you were previously awarded this scholarship, you must re-apply to be considered for a scholarship for the 2019-2020 year.
Award notification will be made by March 30, 2019.